[talk-au] Overmapping?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:48:52 GMT 2010

On 25 February 2010 18:57, Sam Wilson <sam at archives.org.au> wrote:
> Of course, it's that slippery slope again: at what point will someone
> come along and want to map footpaths as areas?!  Actually, the GIS data
> that I'm most familiar with (not to imply that I'm familiar with it at
> all, really) is that of Western Power, where every footpath /is/ an
> area, as well as every grassy verge and driveway entrance!

Until we have the ability to include additional information with ways
to map widths more accurately, people are going to keep using areas.
It'd be nice to have a lot more micro mapping tools at our disposal,
but that's the reality of things at present.

At the same time, as you pointed out, there is no harm in adding
additional areas, unless there is no accompaning way as well, there is
information that can't be encoded as areas, and areas can't be scaled
well, while it can make maps look nice at high zooms, they become
increasingly less useful at lower zooms for things like navigation.