[talk-au] Hiking tracks: foot=yes or foot=designated?

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 02:40:23 GMT 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) the RWN/NWN/etc scheme is not a "standard", it's a scheme used by
> Europeans to describe their hiking networks, do you agree?

That would/might make it a European standard, or convention.  The
question then is, do we want to adopt it here or not?  If it makes
sense to do so, then yes, if not, then no.

> 2) what harm could result from Australia not following the "standard"?

I would argue, from an insular point of view, as long as you do not
call the .au standard the same name or use the same terms, none at
all.   The caveat because sooner or later someone will is sure to want
to attempt international harmony and if we have used the same
terminology for different things, they will curse us.

The question should be, does the European convention make sense in the
Australian context. If it sort of does then it would be sensible to
use it rather than invent a new one.  If it doesn't, go for it... and
deal with the headache of sorting out the international compromises
later.

jim

--
Jim Croft ~ jim.croft at gmail.com ~ +61-2-62509499 ~