[talk-au] MapOSMatic will now do any where...

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 10:04:59 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/12/30 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> > That's pretty impressive stuff. One "random map" that came up:
> >

> http://maposmatic.org/rendered//004922_2009-12-28_08-34_GrenobleIsreRhneAlpesFrance.png
> >
> > I used to live right on the eastern edge of that map. Can't help but
> wonder
> > if Australian cities will ever have that level of detail...
>
> It's possible to get that level of detail anywhere in the world as
> long as there is hi-res imagery for it, the biggest thing we lack is
> human resources with enough time and skills to map things to that
> degree. I was attempting to get Carnarvon to that level as a show
> case, ie small area and to some extent we suceeded.
>
> http://maposmatic.org/rendered//004989_2009-12-30_08-03_CarnarvonWA.png

Hmm. Looking at this I'm wondering if it makes as much sense to map the
shape of private houses. In the French examples, these are apartment
buildings, and the shape seems somehow more important. But doing every
house?

And the question is...if we decide we don't want to map every house, what
buildings should we map? I've been tending to do buildings in commercial
districts, parks, and some industrial precincts (huge warehouses and sheds
seem particularly worth doing). But the effort in mapping every house in a
city the size of Melbourne seems out of proportion to the value in doing so.

Steve