[talk-au] Copyright questions

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Sun Jan 3 23:16:10 GMT 2010

I'm unclear about some issues concerning copyright.  I'd like to put up
a couple of scenarios and get opinions.

Let's say that many roads in a town are mapped but unnamed in OSM.  And
street signs are missing.

I go to the local tourist information place and start asking for names.
  They give me a photocopy of a street directory which shows all the
names.  But this photocopy has a copyright notice.

Can I enter names from that page into OSM for the already-mapped ways?

Second scenario.  I have the guidebook for a route.  This guidebook is
essential for following the route because of a lack of signage on the
route itself.  The guidebook gives turn-by-turn instructions.  The
roads/paths are already mapped on OSM.  Can I gather them together into
an OSM route relation using the information from the guidebook?

John