[talk-au] Victorian routes

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 00:21:01 GMT 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Craig Feuerherdt <craigfeuerherdt at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Even though the route numbers were sourced from the VicRoads & Main Roads,
> I would argue that it is public knowledge in that it is written on signs all
> across the state. Just to be sure I have sent an email to the author of the
> Main Roads web site - surely he would have the same issue if the VicRoads
> data was copyrighted.
> Will post outcome once it is known.

The difference is whether the list was published by VicRoads in that form.
Even if the individual items in the list are not copyright, the list as a
whole can be. I'm pretty sure about this in Australian law. (But like I
said, I don't think it matters much. Even if VicRoads complained, I'd be
inclined to turn it into a GoogleDocs or something, shared just amongst us -
perfectly valid for personal research.)

Steve