[talk-au] Relations, road names and numbers

Mark Pulley mrpulley at lizzy.com.au
Mon Jan 4 07:19:17 GMT 2010

Quoting myself <mrpulley at lizzy.com.au>:

> Incidentally, I've noticed that the route numbers and route names
> aren't showing in Mapnik for relations. As an experiment, I added a
> stub for C528 (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/374047 )
> using someone else's trace and my voice recording of the route number.
> I placed highway=secondary into the relation rather than the way, and
> the route number shows. Should we be doing this for all relations?
> There wasn't a road name sign, so I don't know yet whether this will
> help make names show up.

As an experiment, I tried this on Tawonga Gap Road. Previously to my
last edit, the route number was in relation, highway=secondary and the
road name was on the way. The name showed but not the route number. I
moved both the road name and highway=secondary to the relation - now
the route number and road name shows up.

The question is, should we move "highway=" onto the relation for all
relations? There's probably a fix for Mapnik to save editing every
relation we've done, so I've added a ticket to OSM.
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/2599

Mark P.
"They offered to transport me back to any point in history that I would
  care to go, and so I had them send me back to last Thursday night, so
  I could pay my phone bill on time."
  (Weird Al Yankovic, "Everything You Know Is Wrong")