[talk-au] Copyright questions

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:26:23 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM, Richard Colless <firefly at ar.com.au> wrote:

> So if all you need is street names,use whatever published source you wish.
> Just make sure that you only get street names. And whatever you do, don't
> advertise it, or discuss it in forums. There are always some smart-arse
> lawyers out there, and none of us really needs to defend our actions in
> court, even though there is a strong legal basis to do so.

Interesting. What strikes me about the street names thing is that in
general, there's actually no way to prove it, other than by the person's own
admission. Whereas with copyright breach in general, you can show a
similarity between two expressions of an idea. But with streets, there is
really only one way to express "Thompson St". (Well, two if you count
"Street"...)

Steve