[talk-au] Default access restrictions

Jim Croft jim.croft at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 03:23:26 GMT 2010

Nope.  See this:
http://www.netspeed.com.au/cr/bicycle/features/footpath.htm

in particular:
" LEGISLATION
Legal authority to enable cyclists to use all footpaths was provided
in a 1974 amendment of the ACT Traffic Act 1937 (2), which stated
that:
"A person shall not - ...drive, ride or wheel a vehicle, other than a
bicycle... on a footpath"
This amendment was constrained by only two other sections of the Act.
Firstly, that a person should not ride a bicycle on a footpath where
"No Bicycles" signs had been erected, and secondly, that "a person
should not ride a bicycle within 10 metres of a shop doorway at a time
when that shop is open..."
Since the enactment of the above legislation, there has been only one
instance where it has been deemed appropriate to install "No Bicycles"
signs on footpaths. This was where the city administration wished to
discourage bicycles within the congested City bus interchange, where
the bus operators considered cyclists to be a safety hazard to buses
moving through the interchange.
In addition to this blanket approval to cycle on footpaths, the 1974
legislation went further in providing for the gazettal of "Bicycle
Paths". These are paths restricted to use by bicycle riders only. All
other persons, whether a pedestrian, vehicle driver or a person
leading an animal were to be excluded. In practice however, the
"Bicycle Path" legislation proved unworkable in terms of definition
and enforcement, and the Section was repealed in 1990.
The present position in the ACT is therefore that all footpaths are
available for joint use by pedestrians and cyclists. "

But especially this:
http://www.tams.act.gov.au/move/cycling/cycling_and_walking_map/road_rules

jim

--