[talk-au] Being a local chapter...

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 09:28:25 GMT 2010

There is a couple of points of contention that OSM-F would like local
chapters to be/do on their behalf.

* Have all members automatically become an OSM-F member
* Have the local org charge their local membership fee + the OSM-F on
top and then send the OSM-F portion to OSM-F, even if just once a
year.

To me this is adding middle men into OSM-F's process for no benefit to
the local chapter, but would greatly simplify things for OSM-F, in
other words it simply shifts the burden from users/OSM-F to volunteers
of another organisation.

When you also add in the fact that no one has indicated they would be
willing to do more than absolutely necessary, even if they do want a
local entity to exist.

There is also privacy issues about handing over data en mass to
non-members, and making sure people become blatantly aware that your
information would be sent to OSM-F.

There is also taxation issues, if we can get tax deducible status
there is strict limits on who we could collect money for, usually only
other non-profits in Australia with tax deductible status, something
OSM-F doesn't have.

Also I don't see a local chapter agreement existing any time soon, I'm
not blaming anyone just pointing out the obvious, that this has been
dragging on for a very long time.

All up, I don't see any point in waiting for these issues to be
solved, they will in time I'm sure, but there is a lot of reasons for
an entity to exist and if no one has a problem I'll get one registered
in NSW.

Is anyone willing to fill any of the following positions:

Chairman
Vice Chairman
Secretary
Treasurer
3xOrdinary Members

If the treasurer role can't be filed I think I can get it taken care
of by an accountant.

Also were there any further comments on the proposed association rules?

https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AZf0jIYShBc0ZGNicXR6OXZfMGdoOGsycGZi&hl=en

OOo format: http://119.161.80.210/data/OpenStreetMap_Oceania_Inc_Association_Rules.odt