[talk-au] access=destination

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 03:47:57 GMT 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would have thought so, because afaik these rules are to reduce
> traffic noise. Bicycles not being noisy, I would have thought they
> weren't included.

Maybe, but it's unclear... Anyone good at chasing down legal
definitions of road signs?

> ... I'd say "access=destination" is just less specific

No, access=* applies to "ALL transport modes"
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access). If this isn't the
case in reality, it shouldn't be used, or it should be used in
conjunction with foot=*, bicycle=* as appropriate.

> It does get messy...partially because the
> real world is messy. Say there was a business park with a boom gate
> preventing access to unauthorised cars. You might still walk through
> it. Or you might not.

There's two issues:
1) understanding an ambiguous situation on the ground. In this case,
we need to find out who the signs apply to.
2) tagging the situation according to
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access. In this case, I suspect
access=destination is wrong, because I suspect the signs don't apply
to pedestrians (and maybe bicycles).