[talk-au] Boat ramp

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Wed Jan 20 02:05:31 GMT 2010

Hi John,

Ive been tagging a few boatramps lately, and your suggestion is
basically exactly what Ive been doing, but I have also wondered if it is
the best method, and had a few questions.

Firstly, leisure=slipway works fine for most cases of boatramps, but
some boatramps arent 'leisure', for example a water-police or navy boat
ramp or a boat ramp setup near a dry dock.  These ramps are still
slipway's but dont fit the leisure category.  Maybe an access= tag or
something might be appropriate.

Secondly, Ive wondered (like you), how exactly to map them.  Should they
be mapped right to the waters edge, or should they continue down past
the waterline, the same way the actual ramp does?  Im aware there are
issues with people attaching ways to polygon/relations, so Ive been
extending the way over the polygon and into the waterway.

Ive been mapping a few ramps around Canberra, and have come across a few
different uses.  Ive also noticed some areas have rowing pontoons setup
in the lake, which are the same as a boat ramp, but they run at ground
level while the boatramp disappears under the water.  These arent really
slipways, but what else is appropriate?  Some sort of sport=rowing
amenity=pontoon or something, comes to mind.

David