[talk-au] JOSM on handheld device

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Wed Jan 20 03:53:06 GMT 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 13:35 +1000, John Smith wrote:
> 2010/1/20 David Murn <davey at incanberra.com.au>:
> > I figure I cant be the only person who wants to edit OSM from my GPS
> > device, so Im hoping someone might have a few ideas for apps worth a
> > play with, before I give up and look at writing my own.
>
> How big is the screen on your GPS exactly?

Specs say 4.3".

> I have enough trouble using a 7" eeePC to do editting, it's mostly ok
> for adding names to streets but not for much more complex/labour
> intensive things, I use a 15" laptop for that.

Well, the screen size isnt the issue.  OziExplorer does the job great,
however it uses its own proprietary formats for trace and POI files,
which means I have to do a conversion to use them.  OziExplorer is also
commercial software, so while using the free version Im limited to 20min
traces.

Im not even thinking of adding names to streets so far (although that
would be a future goal), but being able to say 'this is a crossing' or
'this is a turning circle' while creating the tracks would be very
useful.  I understand Ill most probably have to use my main PC to finish
off the data before uploading it, however if nodes are already half
tagged, this makes the at-home job a lot easier.

David