[talk-au] Boat ramp

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Thu Jan 21 00:25:28 GMT 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-21 at 10:35 +1100, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:02 AM, John Henderson <snowgum at gmx.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone got a better suggestion for showing a boat ramp than
> > extending a "highway=service" out into the water?  The "leisure=slipway"
> > tag is meant to apply to nodes, not ways.
>
> I would suggest tagging the way "leisure=slipway". If you need to
> break the current specification to do so, then make a note on the wiki
> page. Tagging it "highway=service" seems wrong. Service roads do not
> go underwater.

So, where should it terminate, before the water?  Or at a junction with
the polygon?  Neither of these choices is really suitable, so leading a
way into the water seems the best option to me.

Also, from the wiki for 'service':
"Generally for access to a building, motorway service station, beach,
campsite, industrial estate, business park, etc..

This doesnt sound wrong to me, if a service road can lead to a beach or
campsite, why not to a boatramp?

> The tagging system is supposed to be flexible and updated to reflect
> changing requirements, after all.

I thought the tagging system was meant to be consistent, before being
flexible.  If everyone tags boatramps in their own 'flexible' way, how
is any renderer supposed to know what to do, for every possible variant?

I believe it should be discussed in here, and the general consensus
should be applied when tagging, rather than everyone going off with
their own idea.

David