[talk-au] Question about lanes

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Sat Jan 23 04:23:04 GMT 2010

Sam Couter wrote:

> There's no indication of how to map asymmetrical roads, Liz's suggestion
> of using 1/2 or 3/2 amuses me.
>
> As a separate issue, how to map roads with differing numbers of lanes,
> perhaps based on time? Pacific Highway at Turramurra is an example, I
> think the Spit Bridge in Manly used to do the same thing. Sydney Harbour
> Bridge also changes the number of lanes used in each direction based on
> traffic flow.

I suspect there may be some use in simply recording the number of lanes,
eg "lanes=3" on a two-way road.

That's partly because the higher lane count direction is likely to be
where it's needed to enhance traffic flow (normally uphill).

And I think that at least some routing software biases routing towards
roads with higher lane counts (other things being equal).

John H