[talk-au] access=destination

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 07:07:59 GMT 2010

2010/1/25 Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com>:

>> > "The 'Local Traffic Only' sign is an advisory sign only and is not
>> > regulatory.
>
> I don't think this is important, but this could be specified using
> motor_vehicle:regulatory=no (or inferred from
> motor_vehicle:source="Local Traffic Only sign")

Actually, this is the important bit.  By saying it is not regulatory
means that it can not be enforced. I am legally allowed to drive past
a "Local traffic" sign and totally ignore it.  By the definitions in
the Wiki, this means it should be tagged access=yes {The public has an
official, legally-enshrined right of access}.  We could also skip the
tag entirely, as this is assumed the default.

A "Local Traffic" sign is a recommendation, not a law. As such, it is
sort of the opposite of access=designated, which is designed to show
places we would prefer certain vehicles to go, this is designed to
show places we would prefer them not to. We don't actually have a tag
for this at the moment, maybe we need one.

> I propose a bulk update because a) I can't think of any other reason
> why access=destination would be applied to ways in Queensland

I can think of quite a few ways which should be marked
access=destination in QLD.  Almost any large factory or industrial
complex has some sort of access road, some of which are quite long and
mapped.  Access to these is (theoretically) restricted to people
visiting the factory, though enforcement varies.  Roads through
Enoggera barracks and similar places are similarly restricted. We
don't want routing software trying to take anybody through these, even
if you're on foot.

Maybe we need to do a data extract and look at how many such tags
exist - ie how big a problem it is.  There may be few enough that we
can do some sort of check before we do any automated changing.

Stephen