[talk-au] Tram stops and routes for Melbourne

Andy Botting andy at andybotting.com
Thu Jan 28 11:06:51 GMT 2010

Hi there freedom lovers,

I've dabbled with a few little tram projects over the last couple of
years, so I'm interested in the state of the tram information for
Melbourne.

I've noticed that the stops in OSM are a little inconsistent and
incomplete, so I'd like to get them fixed.

Anyone on this list from Melbourne and catching trams, have probably
heard of 'Tram Tracker'. It's a web-services based system for
predicting the arrival of a tram at a particular stop. I've managed
write some little python scripts to compile a little database of all
the stops, with info like lat, lng, stop number, routes stopping at
each stop, and a few other little bits.

So, my questions here are:

  1. What sort of agreement do I need from Yarra Trams before this
information can be uploaded into OSM? What have others done in the
past? What can you do if they agree one day, then change their mind?

  2. Is there a particular format/method for uploading this
information? I guess I would need to manually remove the existing
stops first before pushing the new data in.

cheers,

Andy