[talk-au] Tram stops and routes for Melbourne

Andy Botting andy at andybotting.com
Thu Jan 28 22:29:18 GMT 2010

Hey Franc :)

> Generally you should get some form, either by a published copyright
> that is compatible with the OSM license, or a specific statement
> allowing OSM to import the data under it's license, if the general
> copyright is not compatible.

I think the hard part might be just getting them to acknowledge my emails ;)

If I hear back, I'll probably seek advice from the list about such form.

> For the couple imports I have done I have user perl (I would assume
> python equivalent exist) modules to convert from shp/gpx/whatever to
> the '.osm' xml format and then pushed it in with josm or an osm batch
> upload script.

My python script works with objects, so I basically write any format I like.

> The long bits tend to be getting copyright agreement (which may be a
> 'not happening' scenario) and then working out what attributes to put
> on the data - which i have done iteratively on the list.

When writing this email, I had the import of the Vic Police stations
in mind. I think this might be similar to what was done in that case.

cheers