[talk-au] cc-by not compatible with ODBL ?

Neil Penman ianaf4you at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 8 08:16:55 BST 2010

Useful as some govt or corporate contributed data may be the really valuable data is that contributed by individual mappers.  One of the things that set OSM apart from other maps was that although it might have had data missing, what was there was pretty accurate.  With the contribution of data from other sources we are losing some of that quality.  I have found numerous cases where towns have two police stations marked.  One in the correct spot, added by a mapper, and one in some other arbitrary place added by a bulk upload.  I'm not totally against this, but ultimately its community contribution that distinguishes OSM from other maps.