[talk-au] cc-by not compatible with ODBL ?

James Livingston lists at sunsetutopia.com
Thu Jul 8 09:12:41 BST 2010

On 08/07/2010, at 5:16 PM, Neil Penman wrote:
> I have found numerous cases where towns have two police stations marked.  One in the correct spot, added by a mapper, and one in some other arbitrary place added by a bulk upload.  I'm not totally against this, but ultimately its community contribution that distinguishes OSM from other maps.

I agree, which is why when I'm about to start importing the QLD parks data I'm doing it manually and not just throwing the whole dataset at the API. I'll merge the data with anything that already exists in OSM, if a park covers a whole small island, I'll replace the existing coastline if it's better (which it is for PGS and the like, not for other coastline sources). If a parks is named "Lake X conservation park" and there's a lake in the middle, I'll name the lake.

With the police stations, which was there first? If the manual one was, the uploader should have checked whether there was any existing ones with some distance (for a police station, this could be a reasonable distance) and thought about whether it was the same one or not.

I don't think importing datasets are a problem (licensing aside), but bulk imports are different.