[talk-au] Fwd: [OSM-talk] That license change link

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Jul 8 11:52:06 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2010, John Smith wrote:
>> would trigger a change over... or there is, but they aren't telling
>> anyone what it is...

>> How many is enough? 50%? 95%?
>

> This would be one of the reasons I have decided to leave OSMF out of my life
> in future.
> I have asked this question too.

As the junior member of the License Working Group I can say that I am
awed by the combined contributions of the other LWG members over their
time contributing to OpenStreetMap.  They, and I, are enthusiastic OSM
contributors first and foremost.  Okay, some are probably great
parents, siblings, spouses first, but are still huge fans and
contributors to OpenStreetMap outside their efforts on the LWG.

For active contributors, I'd like to see each and every one of us
accept the new license.  It is my hope, recommendation and
expectation, that all active contributors will accept the license
upgrade when presented with the opportunity.  I could be wrong, but I
expect good things from people.

We will lose some data due to inactive, unreachable and deceased
contributors.  We'll miss the contributors more than we'll miss their
data.

But to get back to the point of your question about the percentage
required for changeover.  Do you have a preference or suggestion for
percentage of contributors and or percentage of data that would be
right for the changeover?