[talk-au] Fwd: [OSM-talk] That license change link

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Thu Jul 8 16:12:06 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 July 2010 00:35, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
>> You can find 10% of users who contribute 90% of the data.  I would be
>> really disappointed if only 10% of users accepted the upgrade.
>
> I'm not talking about 10% of users in general, I'm talking about a
> specific 10% of users that made ~90% of the edits.

I understand what you mean.  I would consider it a failure only 10% of
contributors accepted the license upgrade.  My vision of OpenStreetMap
sees the community, the contributors, as very important; probably
twice as important as the data, but perhaps an order of magnitude more
important.

>> I'd expect to see substantially more users accept the upgrade.  My
>> hope / expectation is for 95% plus both for users and for data. That
>> may be unrealistic and / or naive enthusiasm on my part. And I see
>> those numbers as undeniable support from the community, not as a
>> minimum requirement.
>
> You don't need 95% of the users, since only about 77k users made 5 or
> more edits, I'm guessing you'll need at least 7-10k users to agree
> with the changes.

I didn't say I needed 95%, and I didn't say that LWG needed 95%
because I only speak for myself, I said that I hope for and expect
95%+ of users and data.

I would see 10% user support, even with 90% of the data, as a rebuke
of our efforts to upgrade the license.  And as a substantial change of
the position of the community from all of the previous feedback.  90%
user support with 10% of the data is a much, much more positive
response, in my eyes, that 10% user, 90% data.