[talk-au] Fwd: [OSM-talk] That license change link

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Thu Jul 8 21:55:40 BST 2010

On Fri, 9 Jul 2010, John Smith wrote:
> > I understand what you mean.  I would consider it a failure only 10% of
> > contributors accepted the license upgrade.  My vision of OpenStreetMap
>
> You might see it as a failure, but those 10% are the most critical,
> otherwise the project will fork because those 10% are the most
> prolific, so therefore the most likely to fork if unhappy.
>
> > I would see 10% user support, even with 90% of the data, as a rebuke
> > of our efforts to upgrade the license.  And as a substantial change of
> > the position of the community from all of the previous feedback.  90%
> > user support with 10% of the data is a much, much more positive
> > response, in my eyes, that 10% user, 90% data.

This conversation underlies the need to answer this question, by plebiscite.
I am deliberately not suggesting any number or percentage. I am asking the
question.
Asking me for an answer tells me that OSMF has no number decided.
A very small group of people (Board) have decided to investigate licence
change.
Another group (licence committee) were tasked to find a new licence. I asked
for their Terms of Reference but they weren't forthcoming either.
A lot of time has been taken finding a licence and altering it, because the
new licence still didn't fit well.
However, all the time it seems that licence change was going to happen,
regardless of the decision of any other large group of mappers.

OSMF as a company has not answered questions from me, as a member of that
company. I'm older. I am still on various company boards in Australia. I don't
find that the actions of OSMF meet my standards of accountability and
transparency.
I did join. I did vote. But I am dissatisfied and have left.