[talk-au] Nearmap coverage plan

Peter Ross peter at emailross.com
Sun Jul 18 08:12:07 BST 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Ben Kelley <ben.kelley at gmail.com> wrote:
> > That said, having had a look at the new coverage in the Hunter Valley, there
> > is a huge amount of detail you can get from Nearmap that would be
> > practically impossible with surveying.
>
> I've also been finding the opposite. It's almost impossible to follow
> a signposted walking track from Nearmap. Even when you have a fair
> idea where the track goes, there are all kinds of red herrings that
> look just as visible from the air. Not to mention the difficulty of
> even seeing singletrack through dense bush.

It is however great for getting the rough fire-trail network in the
bush.  I've done a lot of these around sedgwick and kinglake in
victoria.

> All of which gives me a strange sense of pleasure, and more motivation
> to go out and map. It just means that my surveying efforts will be
> very much focused on this kind of thing, rather than roads, towns etc.

I'm with you Steve.  I love mapping things which are not on google
maps.  So for me I get real pleasure of mapping bush walks, mountain
biking trails, location of postboxes, rivers, etc., etc.