[talk-au] ODBL yet again, but from a pragmatic approach...

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Sun Jul 18 13:19:26 BST 2010

On 18 July 2010 12:36, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I sent an email to Nearmap today to clarify about licensing of derived
> data, the gist of the response was they won't accept anything less
> than a share alike license, while the ODBL may be compatible, the new
> Contributor Terms (CTs) aren't so on top of all the cc-by data going
> bye bye, all the Nearmap data will disappear as well.

Why would the CC-BY data go "bye bye"? The Licensing Working Group is
still working with the lawyer regarding this and as far as I know
nobody with any legal sense has made any statement why CC-BY would be
a problem under OdbL.

And regardless...
I used a PD data sets for creating the OSM coastline of Africa. It
took me 3 months in 2006. I imagine if for example the much quoted
CC-BY coastline of Australia was removed tomorrow it could be rebuilt
within a week from new data with community assistance. Yes I am aware
there are other CC-BY imported datasets too.

*snip*

> I wish I could be more optimistic but at this stage I doubt that the
> CTs will be updated to accommodate us or anyone else in our position.

John care to join us on the Licensing Working Group calls? Or
alternatively let us know what should be changed. Maybe we can adjust
time to better suit your timezone.

/ Grant