[talk-au] ODBL yet again, but from a pragmatic approach...

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Jul 18 21:34:50 BST 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Grant Slater wrote:
> I used a PD data sets for creating the OSM coastline of Africa. It
> took me 3 months in 2006. I imagine if for example the much quoted
> CC-BY coastline of Australia was removed tomorrow it could be rebuilt
> within a week from new data with community assistance. Yes I am aware
> there are other CC-BY imported datasets too.

This is a vastly simplified view of the world.
If the new data was not superior, why did OSM contributors spend months moving
from the PGS derived coastline (which also took months to make) to the ABS
derived coastline?

Why do we want to take better data and then throw it out?

My personal survey mapping efforts extend over a vast geographical area. I'd
like to be able to show you what the OSM map would look like without this, but
there aren't any tools yet available. (One mapper is trying to work one out).
My gut feeling is that I have drawn in the main roads, the rivers, the minor
roads, and the streets over the major part of a piece of planet Earth.

I am not in favour of the licence change, and my work will have to be removed.
No one yet can sort out exactly how this will be removed - I don't think that
a minor change by me makes it my work, or vice versa.

There is still time for compromise. Some people are not in favour of any form
of compromise, and insist that their way is the only way.