[talk-au] ODBL yet again, but from a pragmatic approach...

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Tue Jul 20 12:31:09 BST 2010

On 18 July 2010 21:34, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Grant Slater wrote:
>
> Why do we want to take better data and then throw it out?

The fear uncertainty and doubt being created in this debated is out of
all proportion.

*rant*
One week it is the OdbL that is all wrong and would result in data
being dumped; and the next week the OdbL is all rosy and it is the
contributor terms that is all wrong. *sigh*

License Working Group (all volunteers, all core OSM people, of which I
am a member, all have day jobs unrelated to OSM and we are not
dictated to by the OSMF) is working on the question of CC-by data
under OdbL. We are still waiting on the legal advice. (Our contact
recently changed at the legal firm which has slowed down the process.)

*snip*

> I am not in favour of the licence change, and my work will have to be removed.
> No one yet can sort out exactly how this will be removed - I don't think that
> a minor change by me makes it my work, or vice versa.

Pity.

Different parts of the world have different definitions of what
constitutes creating a copyrighted work. See Wikipedia: Sweat of the
brow

The LWG will err on side of caution. Although some import bots and
minor change bots are unlikely to be considered for creating their on
copyrighted works.

> There is still time for compromise. Some people are not in favour of any form
> of compromise, and insist that their way is the only way.

Who? What form of compromise? Who is the group being accused here?

Regards
 Grant (in personal capacity)