[talk-au] tagging the source of edits

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 02:37:31 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Ben Last <ben.last at nearmap.com> wrote:
>> If that's not feasible, I hope you use some other technique to make it
>> very
>> clear to users that they must not copy street names from a non-free map.
>
> We understand this point very well :)

Heh, I'm glad you do, because it's far from obvious to me. Street
names are not copyright. And certainly the copyright holders of street
names are not map providers such as Google or Ausway. There is a very
weak provision in some copyright jurisdictions to protect databases
from wholesale copying, but I have a lot of trouble seeing how it
applies here. Has Nearmap had any legal advice on this point? Could
you share it?

Steve