[talk-au] tagging the source of edits

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 13:52:18 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't it be much simpler to define source:nearmap as implying
> attribution:nearmap, as opposed to using both tags.

Heh. It's "simple" in the sense that it's "simple" to wish upon a
star. To actual document and implement that implication in any
meaningful way is currently just about impossible. How would you do
it? Stick a note in the wiki? Many senior OSM users are deeply
suspicious of using the wiki for anything other than documenting
existing practice. How would you know whether this "implication" was
being implemented? How would you make it get implemented?

(Obviously I'm speaking wider than the specific case of
attribution/source=nearmap)

Incidentally, Nearmap would be well within their rights to insist on
attribution for any map data created with their editor, regardless of
whether or not it was based on Nearmap imagery.

Steve