[talk-au] tagging the source of edits

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 14:32:39 BST 2010

On 29 July 2010 22:47, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> That was another question I meant to ask. Does one map in accordance
> with the legal jurisdiction that the OSM servers are within, the
> jurisdiction where the mapper is, or the jurisdiction of the area
> being mapped?

"You" personally need to care about your location, obvious, doesn't
matter why you do something if you break the law and get caught you
are still in trouble.

"OSM-F" covers themselves in a number of ways, firstly they actively
discourage copying from other sources unless you have express
permission, and secondly they are fairly reactive when it comes to
people making claims about copyright infringement.

None of the above would prevent a frivolous lawsuit no matter how much
you are in the right it could still be the equivalent of legal
extortion, ie do what we say or we'll sue you.

As for mapping remotely, that depends on your jurisdictions and any
cross border agreements in place between the remote country, take for
example the Aussie that was extradited to the US on charged of
criminal copyright infringement, he didn't break any local laws and he
never set foot in the US but they still managed to have him sent to
the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DrinkOrDie#Member_raids

In short, it all depends who you tick off and how much absolute power
they have to do something about it, and effort they want to put into
it.