[talk-au] What makes a good change set comment?

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Thu Jul 29 22:08:21 BST 2010

On Fri, 30 Jul 2010, Richard Weait wrote:
> What goes in to a good change set comment?  Should it include the
> nature of your edits, the sources used, edit theme, and location?
> What else?

The question is good, but from a mapper point of view I don't want to put in
masses of information. I want it to upload, and be saved before a crisis
occurs.
But when I'm trying to sort out what someone was doing, and why I disagree
with their actions, no changeset comment is ever going to give the information

here is an example "correct errors from tagwatch update to nearmap" (I know
whose this is, and I'm not picking on you.
I've been putting town names eg "murrumburrah". Of course when you see where
the edit was, that information isn't really helpful either.

I find changeset comments like the secret police, very invasive, and will be
unlikely to write anything effusive in the space.