[talk-au] Making a Laptop GPS

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 12:14:24 BST 2010

On 2 June 2010 20:59, Eraina and Richard jenkins <richardvk1rj at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have in mind a project that involves making my old laptop into a
> large-screen GPS.  Maybe someone on this list can refer me to where
> this has been mentioned before.  My OS of choice is linux, but the
> laptop will still run winXP, and there will be no continuing internet
> connection so I am prepared to use the winXP side of things.

You might be better off getting an eeePC or similar instead of trying
to using an old laptop, most laptops draw a fair amount of power, the
7" eeePC I grabbed only uses 6W at peak and it's 12v, most laptops are
18 or 19v and require a converter.

As for software, navit seems ok, could be better, but you can load all
of Australia in about 70M of data.