[talk-au] Making a laptop Into a Big-Screen GPS (cont.)

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Thu Jun 3 08:12:50 BST 2010

On 03/06/10 13:31, Eraina and Richard jenkins wrote:

> 2.	At least two people suggested that an eeepc 701 would make a
> great GPS using Navit.  I'd love to find a howto for this because I
> have one sitting on my desk ... and I could do a simple PS to run it
> off the car electrics.  Mine is the 4 meg model ... currently running
> easy-peasy.

I'll just sound a note of caution about running an EeePC from 12 volts DC.

I've tried with my 1000H and my son's smaller version (700 series).  In
both cases, the power light on the EeePC just rapidly switches between
red and green.  I've tried from various 12v sources, including a 12v
regulated power supply capable of delivering 6 Amps.

I've gone back to using the genuine AC power supply, with a 230v
inverter when I use it in the car.

John H