[talk-au] Making a laptop Into a Big-Screen GPS (cont.)

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Thu Jun 3 11:23:31 BST 2010

Eraina and Richard jenkins <richardvk1rj at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1.	Where is there a tutorial/howto/whatever for Navit.  For me
> it comes up with a blank screen ... and no maps.  I did attempt to
> download some maps for SE Australia ... so, how do I proceed from this
> point??

Unfortunately, configuring navit isn't exactly user-friendly. It
requires editing an XML file. There's no easy clicky-clicky interface.

http://wiki.navit-project.org/index.php/Configuring_Navit

Also, acquiring and loading maps isn't user-friendly. You can download
navit maps from cloudmade, but you have to manually copy them into the
right location, referenced from the navit.xml file you edited earlier.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au