[talk-au] Bridges and Tunnels

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Jun 7 01:46:04 BST 2010

On Sun, Jun 6, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been looking at tagwatch again and find that there are lots of bridges and tunnels without layer tags.
>
> These are not assumed and need to be added.
>
> Before we all rush out and start amending the tags I've writen a script to add layer tags to these automatically.
>
> It is working on my test server and I'm looking at running it on the osm database.
>
> The script works in a similar manner to the revert scripts and in fact uses some of the functions from there
>
> It has to be run on a server running tagwatch (not a problem on my test server).
>
> At this point in time there are about 2500 (bridges and tunnels) in Australia that don't have a layer tag.  It took about 5 minutes to run on the test server but that's using a direct network connection and not over the internet so would be longer.
>
> The script complies with the suggestions here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits/Code_of_Conduct
>
> It checks the current status of the way (bridge or tunnel) on osm and will only add a layer tag if there is not one there.
>
> I have dryrun it on a small bounding box within australia and it shows no problems.
>
> Anyone see any issues with running this completely and on a regular basis eg weekly cron job.

Don't do it.  Automated changes almost always go wrong.  And they
almost always upset a mapper who really meant for it to be that way.

If you believe that you are accurately detecting a mapping problem,
consider creating an alarm system, like OSM Inspector, keepright or
the dupenodes map.  Bring the potential problems to the attention of
local mappers who can then apply the changes if they are required.