[talk-au] Bridges and Tunnels

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 05:32:56 BST 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Ross Scanlon <info at 4x4falcon.com> wrote:
> Each bridge that currently does not have a layer tag would have layer=1 added.

That will be incorrect if a bridge crosses a body of water (or other
object) that has a layer tag other than zero. Which means some
renderers may go from currently rendering something correctly, to
rendering it incorrectly as a result of that change.

> Each tunnel that currently does not have a layer tag would have layer=-1 added.

Likewise.

> The script does the changes in small chunks, (configurable but currently set at maximum 100 ways), so it is easy to look through each changeset to see what has been added.

Is anyone planning to do this? You said there are 2500 instances. I
don't think it's reasonable to make a massive change and leave
checking them as an exercise for the reader, without putting in place
some kind of process to actually check them.

Incidentally: how do current renderers (principally mapnik and
osmarender) currently behave? Are any of these assumed defaults
actually implemented, or have I got my wires crossed?

Steve