[talk-au] Things that would be nice if they rendered...

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Wed Jun 9 00:33:11 BST 2010

On 09/06/10 09:22, John Smith wrote:
> On 9 June 2010 09:07, John Henderson<snowgum at gmx.com>  wrote:
>> Do I put it on the main international wiki, or just the Australian one?
>
> Map features page, but first I'd come up with a better name, even
> wikipedia couldn't find anything related to the 2 keywords you list
> below
>
>> Just to make things more difficult, searching for a dictionary
>> definition gives me alternative spellings: "cavaletti" and "cavalletti".
>>   I guess I should try to determine which is more widely used, although
>> my spell-checkers don't like either.
>
> Dictionary.com had this:
>
> "A small, portable jump for schooling horses. Constructed of light
> poles, 4 to 6 ft long, resting on a cross of timber at each end so
> that the pole is 12 to 18 inches above the ground."
>
> Which doesn't seem like a permanent barrier type to me.

The term gets used for both - the temporary "horse training" ones and
the fixed barrier structures.

The name is correct.  I've found several references to the need to cross
a cavaletti when walking or cycling a track.  And I initially got the
name from workmen constructing a new one on the BNT.

John H