[talk-au] NearMap support for OSM editing

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 02:13:22 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Ben Last <ben.last at nearmap.com> wrote:
> the NearMap site).  We do have our own registration system, and we're going
> to require that a user be registered with us before we allow them to make
> edits.
> Because of the above, edits applied to the OSM data would be submitted by a
> "nearmap" user.  We're planning to tag edited OSM entities with information
> sufficient to identify the NearMap user who made the edit.  We'll also be
> tracking the history of edits by users in our core database.

I suspect this approach will prove controversial. Is there really no
way you can integrate user registrations?

I do like the idea of tagging addresses though. In particular, it
would be great if your system made it easy to tag corner addresses,
and interpolate between them (using the current interpolation scheme -
which I'm not very familiar with).

One issue that occurs with allowing street name changes is that you
may need to allow users to split streets. Also, you may want to point
out to them that one (previously unnamed) street/way runs into another
unnamed street/way.

Steve