[talk-au] Talk-au Digest, Vol 36, Issue 9

Voon-Li Chung chungvl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 04:14:24 BST 2010

>> There's no convenient way. ?We could bounce a user off to the OSM site to
>> register, but this is complex because they then need to confirm an email,
>> and after the signup there (appears to be) no convenient way to bring them
>> back to our site. We'd then have to ask them to enter their OSM username and
>> password since we can't easily tell whether they are registered/logged in
>> with OSM (the OSM login cookies are for the openstreetmap.org domain). ?In
>> short, the OSM site doesn't appear to have been designed with the intention
>> of supporting login integration with external services.
>> There are ways around many of the issues, but we'd end up doing a fair
>> amount of work to integrate closely with an external site that may then
>> change the way it works, breaking the flow for our users.

Hi all,

I have a idea - it's not that different in concept to my "Survey
Helper" system that I emailed out about a few months ago. But the way
I see it, the issues are:

1. It's too hard to get Nearmap users to go through the signup process for OSM
2. OSM shouldn't necessarily trust the information coming back from
Nearmap users, and would ideally like to vet the information coming
back
3. It would be good there was some way to combine the enthusiasm of
the Nearmap users with the skills of long-term OSM editors

So how about creating an independent database that allows OSM editors
to view what is effectively a "suggestion box database", which can
then be used / accessed by registered OSM users to influence their map
editing? That way, Nearmap users are still making contributions, and
they can be vetted / influenced by a more experienced OSM editor.

That way, one of the activities OSM editors can do, in addition to
tracing streets, is also check "the Nearmap change suggestions
database" to see what good stuff the Nearmap user community has
provided.