[talk-au] Hikers on this list?

Peter Ross peter at emailross.com
Wed Jun 16 01:58:06 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 7:57 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some of us were discussing making a custom hiking map styles on IRC
> earlier so we can print out such maps or use them in presentations to
> show bush walkers the potential of what they can get back out of OSM.
>
> I don't think any of us has had much to do with hiking maps, so is
> anyone on this list an experienced hiker that could help us come up
> with a suitable hiking map style sheet?
>
> I've also been playing with contour lines on OSM map tiles, but I
> think instead of cluttering up the common mapnik rendering this would
> be better in a hiking style.
>
> http://maps.bigtincan.com/?z=14&ll=-27.097,152.532&layer=B0000000000TT

I would suggest using the orienteering map style

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orienteering_map
http://www.orienteering.org/i3/index.php?/iof2006/content/download/866/4026/file/International_Specification_for_Orienteering_Maps_2000.pdf

The advantage of the orienteering map style is that it emphasises
features which can be used for navigation and route planning.