[talk-au] Hikers on this list?

John Henderson snowgum at gmx.com
Wed Jun 16 07:30:31 BST 2010

On 15/06/10 19:57, John Smith wrote:
> Some of us were discussing making a custom hiking map styles on IRC
> earlier so we can print out such maps or use them in presentations to
> show bush walkers the potential of what they can get back out of OSM.
>
> I don't think any of us has had much to do with hiking maps, so is
> anyone on this list an experienced hiker that could help us come up
> with a suitable hiking map style sheet?
>
> I've also been playing with contour lines on OSM map tiles, but I
> think instead of cluttering up the common mapnik rendering this would
> be better in a hiking style.
>
> http://maps.bigtincan.com/?z=14&ll=-27.097,152.532&layer=B0000000000TT

I don't do much bushwalking these days, having been most active in the
late 60s.

I think Peter Ross is correct in that orienteering is the sport with the
closest mapping needs to bushwalking.

Important things to render on hiking maps would be most natural=*
features, all roads, tracks, and paths, contour lines, and visible
features which might prove useful to navigation and to "where am I?"
(possibly the likes of power lines).

Camp sites are another important thing.  I've been tagging these along
the Hume & Hovell Walking Track as tourism=camp_site.

Waterfalls come to mind as a tag conspicuously missing from the OSM Map
Features page.

To get a good feel for what bushwalkers might want, it's worth spending
time reading the navigation section of this FAQ:
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_Navigation.htm

And especially the subsection - "Maps".

John H