[talk-au] State of the Map 2010 - Girona Spain

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Jun 16 21:15:09 BST 2010

Hello Australian list,

Are any of you planning to attend SotM 2010?  Because you should.
Book your ticket to SotM now.

http://stateofthemap.org/register-now/

If you are considering attending SotM but don't know if it will be
worthwhile, I say this.

Yes, it will be worthwhile.

There is no better way to meet three hundred other OpenStreetMap
contributors.  There is no better way to spend a weekend, or longer
with folks as enthusiastic about OSM as you are.  There is no better
way to meet and mingle with so many of the founders, early adopters,
developers and contributors at one time.

I guarantee that you will learn something in casual conversation, over
a beverage, that will guide your mapping and inspire you for the next
year.  Now I can't predict what you will learn or by whom you will be
inspired but it will happen.  It always happens.

The upcoming State of the Map conference, 2010 edition is going to be
loaded with great presentations, awesome workshops and more Mappy
Goodness than you can shake a stick at.  But it will also be a lot of
fun.  Some of the fun will be the ad-hoc enjoyment of a thoughtful
cartography conversation among peers.  Some of the fun will be
learning about and enjoying the culture and hospitality of our hosts
in Girona, Spain.  And some of the fun will be singing  songs about
maps at the top of our lungs.

I know that you have been waiting to see the schedule for State of the
Map 2010. And now I know that you will love it.  The SotM team has
done a spectacular job of soliciting and acquiring a great line-up of
speakers and topics.  You will want to buy your ticket and book your
trip now.  http://stateofthemap.org/register-now/

Day One: Business and Workshop Day
Friday http://stateofthemap.org/schedules/friday/

Day Two: Community, Tech, Quality and Scholarship Tracks
Saturday http://stateofthemap.org/schedules/saturday/

Day Three: Tools, Imports, Humanitarian and Cartography Tracks
Sunday http://stateofthemap.org/schedules/sunday

One sign of an excellent conference program is having too many hard
choices between concurrent sessions.  This schedule passes that test.
This is a conference not to be missed.

The SotM 2010 organizing committee sends us the following contest challenge:

Do you remember the 2008 Limerick Limerick contest?

And the 2009 Amsterdam Haikus?

Then you should be asking yourself "What kind of poetry will we have
to master this SotM10?". Unfortunately for you, this year there won't
be a poetry contest.

This time we'll be doing something different. As the State of the Map
2010 venue is actually a concert hall, we'll host the first official
OpenStreetMap Concert Contest.

The rules are simple:

   * Make a song, or change the lyrics of an existing song. The song
must be about OSM, maps, GPS, GIS software, or cartography.
   * You may assemble a band to play the song together (or play solo).
   * You may use the concert hall A/V facilities (amplifiers, audio
inputs, video playback, etc). Please do talk with the SotM10
organising committee if you plan to.
   * You will be required to play the song during SotM10.