[talk-au] Hikers on this list?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 02:30:50 BST 2010

On 17 June 2010 07:17, Tom Brennan <website at ozultimate.com> wrote:
> Other than contours, the key things bushwalkers want to see for

Do you have any suggestions on how contours should be marked? eg every
10m elevation, or 5 or 50 or ... ?

> navigation are:
> - tracks
>   - render as dashed black line

Can you put this in OSM terms?

>   - ideally there needs to be more granularity of track difficulty
>     - track_visibility=* is probably useful
>     - sac_scale=* is less useful as it is too specific to alpine areas
>     - however, something indicating difficulty/exposure would be useful

This came up on IRC the other day, there the suggestion with sac scale
was it should be limited to things SAC has actually evaluated, and
there is no equivalent body in Australia so there probably needs a
new/different tag for difficulty ratings in Australia difficulty:au=*
?

>     - intermittent stream - thin dashed blue
>   - main deficiency in tagging is the need for an intermittent
> watercourse tag eg waterway=stream_non_perennial or intermittent=yes

I don't think we have a tag for this at present, out of those 2
choices intermittent=yes is shorter, although we probably should with
all the dry creek beds out there most of the time. In any case what
ever is decided needs to be documented.

> - other topographic features like peaks, passes, ranges, ridges, spurs,
> valleys
>   - should have names render but probably no other marker
>   - some of those (eg ridges, spurs) don't seem to have any method in
> OSM (proposed or otherwise) for tagging at the moment

Peaks usually get the elevation printed, any thoughts on how to tag the rest?

A lot of these might fit under the natural=* section... natural=cliff etc...