[talk-au] Hikers on this list?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 10:59:00 BST 2010

On 23 June 2010 19:39, Tom Brennan <website at ozultimate.com> wrote:
> The best work on the SRTM data is probably by Sean Williams (Dooghan) on
> gpsaustralia.net. He has created Garmin IMG files with 5m contours,
> though with 90m data, 5m is pretty optimistic. Looks nice though.
> http://www.lizarddrinking.net/index.htm

There is a small shell script on the OSM wiki, combined with a few GIS
tools can be used to import data at various contour intervals into
pgsql. There is other tools which I'm still to play with that can
provide hill shading relief.

So far I imported 10m intervals + a single 2m contour that seems like
it might be useful to map currently unmapped islands, I still need to
add this as a slippymap custom tile URL in JOSM and play with it
further...

> GA data does have a ? over the licensing. The GA site is licensed using

GA also has a 1 second set of SRTM data that has been adjusted to fix
it for vegetation problems, but it's listed as government use only.

> I thought I noticed a while back that Nearmap was planning on doing some
> stuff in the DEM space, so maybe they'll have something down the track?

If and when they do, it'll still only be a relatively small area of
under 2% the surface area of Australia.