[talk-au] Bribie Island OpenStreetMap Mapping Party coming up soon! (Sat 17 July)

David Dean ddean at ieee.org
Mon Jun 28 07:55:05 BST 2010

Hi everyone,

OSM mapping party propaganda follows. Please pass onto anyone you
think might be interested.

- David

----

Calling all map-lovers, amateur cartographers, surveyors and
cartophiles! Local OpenStreetMappers are having a mapping party soon,
and we want your help.

When:     Saturday 17th July 2010
Agenda:
    09:00 - 09:30    BBQ Breakfast at Quota Park, Welsby Parade
    09:30 - 13:00    Mapping
    13:00 - 14:00    Lunch at Bribie Island Hotel, 29 Sylvan Beach Esplanade
Details:     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bribie_Island_Mapping_Party_July_2010

OpenStreetMap is a collaboratively built free map of the world, with
simple wiki-like editing;  think ‘Wikipedia’, but for maps. The result
is highly detailed digital maps, created and edited by local
communities, that are free to reproduce without the normal commercial
restrictions.  It's a fun project to get involved with; you'll
discover how maps are made and uncover the geographical secrets of
your neighbourhood.

Volunteers from all around Brisbane have already begun mapping the
roads, footpaths and cycleways across the city, but now we need your
help to improve our map by adding street details and amenities such as
restaurants, parks, playgrounds and shops.

For July, we will be mapping Bribie Island. After beginning with a
delicious BBQ breakfast at Quota Park, we will split up and spread out
over Bribie Island to collect information for inclusion in
OpenStreetMap. You are welcome to map however and wherever you want,
but here are a few suggestions for things that other mappers like to
collect:

    * Missing streets, footpaths and cycleways
    * Missing street names
    * Missing street facilities (traffic lights, pedestrian crossings,
speed bumps, etc.)
    * Missing reserves, parks, schools and child-care centres
    * Missing amenities (water fountains, toilets, playgrounds, seats,
shelters, etc.)
    * Details of shops/restaurants/pubs

However, if you aren't sure what you can do, we'll be happy to provide
ideas and help get you started. If you have a GPS device, including a
GPS-enabled phone, bring it along, but you don’t need anything special
to map - just a pen and paper will do. Blank maps for note-taking can
easily be made available if prior notice is provided.

After spending a couple of hours surveying we will rejoin at the
Bribie Island Hotel at 13:00 for lunch and to debrief. If you have a
laptop, bring it along and we'll show you how easy it is to use
OpenStreetMap on your own computer. Internet access will be made
available through shared mobile broadband (or bring your own).

If you can’t or don’t feel like helping in the physical survey, or you
just want to be social, please feel free to turn up at the Bribie
Island Hotel anyway. We’ll be there between 13:00 and 14:00 and we’ll
be happy to introduce you to OpenStreetMap, and maybe get you set up
to map your local area.

If you can come, please let David Dean know by Wednesday the 14th of
June, so we can have some idea of how will be turning up on the day.

Contact David Dean on 0407 151 912 to RSVP or for more information.

(please let me know if you don't want these emails in future)
--
David Dean
Post-Doctoral Fellow, RP-SAIVT, QUT