[talk-au] Overland Track added

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Wed Mar 3 09:22:10 GMT 2010

On Wed, 3 Mar 2010, John Henderson wrote:
> > My old man's a surveyor so I've played chainman plenty of times too.
> > These days it's less about the chain and more about carrying the prism
> > to the benchmark and to each spot. You don't expect the surveyor to do
> > the walking, do you?
>
> It was a surveyor I met in the field recently who told me that the
> chainman job had been abolished.
>
> I didn't ask her how she cuts down the trees that are in the way.

It's called fieldhand now. As a fieldhand my son has bogged the ute
sorry as a fieldhand he has dug all the holes with a crowbar and hammered in
the pegs.
Someone still has to do the hard work
He is now qualified but still looking for a job.
He talks about mm accuracy, not a few centimetres.
(Of course, in the 19th century, there were some very famous surveying
mistakes)