[talk-au] General Observations.

Ben Last ben.last at nearmap.com
Thu May 20 02:59:21 BST 2010

Street types are covered by AS4590, Interchange of client information,
Australia Post Address Presentation Standard.

See also:
http://meteor.aihw.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/270020/meteorItemView/long

The fact that I know this is quite sad...

Cheers

On 20 May 2010 09:46, Brendan Morley <morb.gis at beagle.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 May 2010 11:05:00 +1000, John Smith wrote:
>
> >On 20 May 2010 11:01, Brendan Morley <
> *morb.gis at beagle.com.au*> wrote:
>
> >> Brisbane regularly have the street type abbreviated (ST, RD, MWY, ART)
> and I
> >> think it is better to record the "in the field" name as such. Even with
> >> accurate capitalisation.
> >>
> >> Think tourists who aren't familiar with the way we do things around
> here.
> >
> >You are confusing use with recording, if you record the actual street
> >type, software can then convert both the searches and the output to
> >show what people expect, some street types have multiple abbreviations
> >and would be even more difficult to search.
>
> Yes, I would be *recording* what I *saw* in the field.
>
> Is there even an official interpretation table in the Queensland
> jurisdiction? Even survey plans never seem to declare the road type in full.
>

> Brendan

Ben Last
Development Manager (HyperWeb)
NearMap Pty Ltd