[talk-au] Australian Coastline

Markus markus_g at bigpond.com
Tue May 25 11:28:03 BST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: John Smith [mailto:deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 25 May 2010 7:38 PM
To: Markus
Cc: OSM Australian Talk List
Subject: Re: [talk-au] Australian Coastline

> Are you able to explain how to check easily with JOSM if part of the
> coastline is missing?

>JOSM often complains too much about missing or lacking coastlines...

You still haven't explained how to check the whole coastline is joined with
JOSM. You mensioned JOSM has a validation checker that should be used for
this kind of thing.

The renders I create for Garmin Mapsource has problems if the coastline
isn't joined.

> With reading about all the rendering problems with coastline not being a
> continuous polygon a relation seemed the best way.

>Coastlines should be a polygon, but can't be for various reasons, such
>as a 2000 node limit.

The 2000 node limit for polygons is documented to be over come by using a
relation.

> 1) I was also planning to use the relations in for the maritime borders as
> the baseline as per my original email that no one commented on.

> Maritime borders are 12nm out to sea, not along the coastline.

The maritime borders are 12nm out to sea from the coastline. See below link.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Maritime_borders

03:56:00