[talk-au] How to make admin boundaries disappear if they aren't duplicated with highway=* etc

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Wed May 26 17:29:02 BST 2010

Since JOSM implemented object filtering I've been trying on and off to
figure out how to make admin boundaries disappear 99% of the time when
they aren't also tagged as highway, waterway, natural, railway or
other similar tags, I finally got annoyed enough to email the dev list
about this and even then it ultimately took a brief moment of
inspiration to finally figure this out.

When you go to add a new filter, just paste in the following:

boundary=administrative -(highway=* | waterway=* | natural=* |
railway=*) type:way

If there are other common keys shared with admin boundaries you just
add them to the section inside the brackets, from there you can tick
the box under the 'H' column (for hide), and from then on the only
admin boundaries you will see will be those that are merged with roads
etc.

If you want to de-merge the roads etc from admin boundaries it's
usually a trivial matter of copying the section and pasting it, and
then slightly offseting the admin boundary and striping any additional
tags and then linking the newly pasted object into the road network or
what not.

I've also documented this, on the ever growing page of tagging tips:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Hiding_admin_boundaries_in_JOSM