[talk-au] Project of the Week / Month

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed Nov 3 14:33:36 GMT 2010

Hi talk-au,

My name is Richard and I'm an OpenStreetMap enthusiast.  I've been
maintaining the Project of the Week [1] for a while.  It's supposed to
be a way for mappers to share the things about mapping that excite
them with other mappers.  A way to encourage folks to map things they
might not otherwise consider mapping. And a way to educate new mappers
as to the best practices in mapping their neighbourhood.

I intend for PotW to be inclusive and interesting and entertaining.
For now, I am concerned about inclusion.  I had a look at the PotW
proposals[2] today and saw one for lit=yes.  Now we haven't had a
project for lit before, and it strikes me as fitting the goals.  There
are lit roads in a lot of places.  Where there are few lit roads it
might be even more interesting to have data on where the lights exist.

And then I thought, "and the days are getting shorter, so this is a
perfect tie-in for my introductory paragraph."

And then I thought of you and felt bad.

I don't want you to feel excluded from Project of the Week just
because it is written by an insensitive northerner.  So I'd like to
invite you to participate in Project of the Week and I'd like to
invite you to contribute to Project of the Week by by offering
suggestions or even guest projects for consideration.  I think it
would be great to have projects that reflect your perspective as well.

Best regards,
Richard

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Project_of_the_week/Proposals