[talk-au] Locata augmenting GPS in GPS hostile areas

Peter Ross peter at emailross.com
Mon Nov 8 09:49:52 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Elizabeth Dodd <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 19:51:52 +1100
> Peter Ross <peter at emailross.com> wrote:
>
>> http://www.locatacorp.com/docs/Locata%20Primer%20v1.3,%20public%20rel,%20Feb%2005.pdfExplains
>> the difference to dgps
>>
>> Dgps requires the gps receiver to be augmented to receive the
>> differential signal while with this you can use just a consumer gps
>> and get very good accuracy
> not exactly; you need a few other gadgets as well

for dgps or for rtk-gps?

> this is RTK-GPS as I did post later (real-time-kinetic gps)

As explained in http://www.locatacorp.com/docs/Locata Primer
v1.3,%20public%20rel,%20Feb 05.pdf (see page 17 onwards) and the
podcast you just use a plain old gps, unlike for DGPS and RTK-GPS.

Their idea is that a museum (say) would buy these locata things and
place them throughout their building then people could wander around
with their smart phone and get information relevant to where they are,
or alternatively firefighters could place the beacons around a burning
building and then be able to record where every firefighter is in
real-time with meter level accuracy.

The technology looks very cool to me.